Sunday, July 12, 2009

Nondescription: Rugby Outing

I had the distinct misplaced displeasure of going on a locality hunt-looking for a place you’ve been to before but just can’t seem to remember.( I should have known better than to go orienteering without a map or a compass). The locality in question was Nondescripts Rugby Football Club; the displeasure was due to the fact that it was 4 in the afternoon and I was already freezing. The event was the showdown between Nondies and KCB Lions this past weekend. It was expected to be a thriller of a match. More like flat coke, too many errors and a lackadaisical approach to the match and the final result read like a new Nokia phone mode, 57-12. My companion and I looked on haplessly through it all. One of our fellow sideline soldiers disappeared at half time; Nondies were down 25-0. She had the foresight to leave before things got worse, my companion did not. The photo above shows my companions’ state in the second half.
I was fortunate to hike a lift from a rugby die hard fan and player who would be expected to know where NRFC was. Like lambs led to slaughter we were delivered to the Nondies pitch where we witnessed the crushing defeat of a powerful team. Halfway through the game we went in search of another of our errant friends who informed us that she was close to the police post; like we knew where that was! Armed with a watchman’s enthusiastic directions we headed off. In hindsight, we should have taken the watchman with us or we would not have felt the need to be Hansel and Gretel dropping crumbs to retrace our steps. Luckily we met h
er on the way, and we made our way back to the game.
In the clubhouse later on that evening I was able to witness camaraderie among rugby players that I have not yet seen in any other sport in Kenya. They mixed well with each other and like true brothers celebrated together regardless of the score line. They were all winners; the Nondies players came out of the match having learnt something, hopefully. If I’d had to have walked from Ngong road to the pitch and paid the entrance fee, I’d have been one bitter rugby fan but seeing as it cost us nothing to go and watch this match, I’m fine. I’m willing to give my time as it’s a good way to get rid of all the stresses; that is unless you’re a Nondies player. You win some, you lose some.