Sunday, June 14, 2009

GHETTO GENTLEMAN

Bush taxi in the East ProvinceImage via Wikipedia


I had the pleasure of going clubbing with a ghetto guy a while back. It was the most illuminating experience of my life. Granted, he did not have a flashy "whip" but we had the public transport facilities available. He paid my matatu( slang for a 14 seater cab in Kenya) fare as well as his.

He took me out to supper first, fast food nonetheless;We had a classic Kenchic meal- quarter na chips! Again, he paid

At this point I was severely intrigued by his behaviour; mothers warn their daughters about these men. Some of the myths surrounding these guys are more fiction than fact( thanks to my "date")

He paid for the drinks, made sure I was comfortable and was attentive to me the whole evening. He was polite, courteous and kind. He's suceeded in debunking any false notions I may have had about the "ghetto gentleman".

At the end of the night, we ended up back at his place; he whispering sweet nothings and me holding on to my sanity. I capitulated, to a few kisses and promptly pretended to fall asleep. A girl can't put out on the first date you know!!!

He lives in Kawangware- last stop on the matatu ride, I was a bit apprehensive when we alighted but he, in a grand display of chivalry, held my hand till we got to his gate and into the compound.

He has a one roomed house, with a communal bathroom outside in the compound. The room was surprisingly big, he had furniture and electronics in there, my ghetto boy is also a hip hop boi......



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]